eyeReview: Transition

tran⋅si⋅tion  [tran-zish-uhn, -sish-]

–noun
1. movement, passage, or change from one position, state, stage, subject, concept, etc., to another; change: the transition from adolescence to adulthood.
2. Music. a passing from one key to another; modulation.

The dictionary definition of the word Transition isn't too far off from what Ryan Leslie's second studio album "Transition" represents. His album will hit stores Tuesday, November 3rd; only nine months after his debut album "Ryan Leslie". There's no doubt about it, once you pop in the disc or hit play that you're listening to the sounds of Mr. R. Les. The instrumental basis of the album is very similar to the rest of his work...bad thing? Hmm, I wouldn't say so, but it did make me wonder when this so-called "transition" was going to occur...And it did to say the least.

I was surprised to hear what seemed to be a wedding song on the album. "I Choose You" made my heart smile, simply because I love songs like that. That's what did it for me. In my perspective, the change that he made throughout the album wasn't so much a musical one, but him growing into more of a man through his lyrics and musical content (it'll make more sense once you listen).

There aren't too many tracks on the album that I didn't like on the album, and that's surprising. One element to having a good album is one that you can play from beginning to end without wanting to skip a song. So, what tracks am I feeling? Of course I'll have to say "You're Not My Girl" (his first single off of the album). This was in heavy rotation in the radio world, and it was very appealing to his male audience; which is always a plus for any artist. I also like "Guardian Angel", just because I find it flattering when guys compare females to things of such innocence and purity (even though none of us are pure in any aspect of our lives). "Something That I Like" featuring Push is another track that I would recommend. Ryan Leslie has a great album so make sure you cop it! Transition complete...I'll give it a B+.

Spread Love. Live Life. Be Inspired.

t i f f a n y
Proud supporter of The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society

1 comments:

  1. Anonymous said...:

    Great review!

Post a Comment

Your thoughts here =)